The benefits of using mulch.
Published August 28th 2015
Besides providing a pleasant vista to any yard, the proper use of mulch offers an array of benefits for both the property owner as well as the environment. Below is a small sampling of why you should implement mulch into your gardening and/or landscape plans.
- Adding mulch reduces the amount of plant area in your yard therefore reducing both mowing time, fuel usage, and pollution. In short, mulch is GREEN!
- Mulch saves you water! The drought in California is getting worse each day.
- Mulch installed to the proper depth (3” or greater) provides an excellent barrier for weeds and other unwanted plants.
- Mulching reduces the amount of water needed for many plants and vegetation by keeping soil temperatures down thereby reducing evaporation.
- Mulching reduces the need to use additional soil necessary for plants to grow while also limiting soil and other types of erosion.
- Most quality mulches decompose over time thus adding valuable nutrients back into the soil. In essence, mulch is time-released composting!
- Certain mulches—such as those composed of Cypress, Cedar , or Pine wood—are excellent at repelling and controlling a variety of pestilent insects; such as ticks, chiggers, gnats, etc.
- Most natural wood mulches (non-dyed products) promote an increase in worm activity which is ALWAYS a good thing in any garden or yard. Worms love to eat the decaying mulch which in turn creates great soil! Over time, even hard clay soils can be broken down simply by mulching and subsequent worm activity!
- Mulch controls soil erosion.
- Mulch acts as an insulating layer on top of soil,keeping it cooler in the summer. Roots like that!
- In short, MULCH IS A GOOD THING TO DO! Not to mention that it looks GREAT!
Happy Planet Testimonials
Happy Planet was on time and very courteous. They even took time out of thier day to give me advice on my garden. -Karen
I’ve been looking for a good landscaping company for a while, no one seemed to do quality work anymore. I stumbled upon Happy Planet landscaping and they were awesome. The work they did at my house was very professional Definitely keepers! - Dave
Five star rating - West Coast Landscapers Assoication